There were an unacceptably high 20 pet food recalls in ALL OF 2017. Thus far in 2018, there have already been OVER 22 RECALLS! Many of these recalls could have been prevented if pet food companies took more care in manufacturing do food or did more safety testing of the ingredients they use and the final product.
Here are some of the reasons that premium pet food has been recalled over the last year:
- Listeria contamination (easy to test for)
- Bone particles that were too big (should have been caught in the manufacturing process)
- 2 times - salmonella contamination (easy to test for)
- MULTIPLE cases of contamination from the euthanasia drug pentobarbital (should NEVER have happened but also is easy to test for)
- 2 times - products had too much thyroid hormone (should have been caught in the manufacturing process)
- Aluminum particles in the food - All food plants have metal detectors, why did this company detect this? Were their detectors NOT TURNED ON?
Many of these recalls are for problems that could have been prevented by simple safety testing. For example, the cost of a test for Listeria AND Salmonella is $300, a small price to ensure the safety of our dogs.
To see if your dog's current formula has been recalled, visit Pet Food Advisor
WHAT NEEDS TO CHANGE
Pet food companies need to take more care in how they manufacture dog food and should do more finished goods testing to ensure that the food they sell is safe. This is something that COAST+RANGE does on every batch of food we make. It may cost more but the health and safety of your dog is worth it!
Source: Dog Food Advisor website