If you've ever discussed your dog's digestion with any member of the COAST+RANGE team, you've almost definitely heard us talk about pumpkin either in it's whole form, canned form (not to be confused with it's sugary relative, pumpkin pie filling!), or the pumpkin that is already gently-baked into COAST+RANGE foods. Pumpkin is an amazing source of nutrients for both humans and canines and can be a natural way to help with digestion! We thought the start of autumn would be a great time to highlight this magnificent fruit (...or vegetable?).
5 POWERFUL BENEFITS OF PUMPKIN
If you are currently feeding your dog COAST+RANGE's gently-baked foods for dogs, you probably have noticed that pumpkin is already incorporated into your dog's diet! We add pumpkin sourced from the USA to each of our formulas so your dog can reap all of the benefits from this nutrient-packed, fiber-dense fruit with every meal, and here's why:
1. Pumpkin is a source of fiber. Many know that adding pumpkin to anyone's diet, including a dog's diet, can add fiber and aid in digestion! Here at COAST+RANGE we call pumpkin the 'miracle poop aid' because it can help loosen up constipated stools and firm up loose stools!
2. It's particularly rich in Vitamin A. Vitamin A is a key nutrient in a dog's diet and can promote ocular health, skin + coat health, growth, and immune function.
3. Pumpkin is packed with other vitamins + minerals! It includes other vitamins + minerals Vitamin C, Potassium, Magnese, Copper, Vitamin B2, Vitamin E, and Iron. These are all biologically required for healthy dogs to thrive and are also recognized as necessary nutrients by AAFCO.
4. Antioxidants are prevalent in pumpkin. Antioxidants can help keep the cells in your dog's body healthy and can help fight against cancer, heart disease, and other conditions.
5. Dogs like the taste! We have heard from many pet parents that their dogs love the taste of pumpkin when supplementarily added to their foods!
SUPPLEMENTING PUMPKIN IN YOUR DOG'S DIET
If you aren't currently feeding COAST+RANGE foods that already include pumpkin in COAST+RANGE puppy and adult formulas, or if you'd like to incorporate more fiber into your dog's diet, you can supplement with fresh pumpkin or pure canned pumpkin.
WHEN? A good use of pure canned pumpkin, or whole pumpkin chopped with seeds removed, is if your current dog food is lacking in fiber (careful! this can mean it's lacking in other important nutrients too!) or if your dog is experiencing digestion issues. Adding pumpkin to your dog's bowl can help with loose stools and constipation - it's that good!
HOW MUCH? It is generally recommended to start with small amounts of pumpkin, and add more if needed. Starting with a teaspoon or two for small breed dogs and smaller puppies, and tablespoon or two for large breed dogs and bigger puppies is a good rule of thumb. Remember, too much of a good thing is almost never a good thing!
HOW? Of course, the easiest way to include pumpkin in your dog's diet is choosing a dog food that already includes it (like COAST+RANGE foods!). You also can purchase pure organic canned pumpkin at most grocery stores and super markets which can be mixed in to your dog's current food as well. You can use fresh pumpkin by removing the seeds and chopping up easily-chewable, bite-sized pieces to add to your dog's current food. If your dog prefers a softer alternative with fresh pumpkin, try blending chunks with a splash of filtered water for a more pureed, mixable texture.
WANT TO TAKE THE WORK OUT OF INCORPORATING PUMPKIN + OTHER NATURALLY POWERFUL INGREDIENTS INTO YOUR DOG'S DIET?